California Spanish Genealogy
by SFgenealogy


 A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

  • AGUILAR, Antonio

  • Los Angeles Times, August 18, 1909

    Pioneer Who Could Recall Pueblo Days to Be Buried This Morning.
    Expert Saddle Maker.

    The funeral of Antonio Aguilar, who was accidentally killed on Saturday, will be held at 8:30 o'clock this morning at the family residence, No. 1579 Henry street.  There will also be services at Sacred Heart Church.  Interment will be at Calvary Cemetery.

    Mr. Aguilar was born in Lower California eighty-seven years ago, and came here when Los Angeles was a pueblo and the surrounding country was divided into ranchos consisting of thousands of acres, with countless numbers of cattle and horses roaming over the hills and through the valleys.

    He took up as an occupation the manufacturing of stockmen's riding saddles, for which California was, and is today, famous.  In this he became most proficient, having made some of the most magnificent designs ever shown in the West.  At the time of his death he had been in the employ of the Los Angeles Saddlery and Finding Company for fifteen years.

    He was always a public-spirited citizen, upholding the law and using his influence among his people in the cause of justice and good citizenship.

    He leaves a widow, a daughter, Mrs. Albert Scheller, who resides in San Fernando; a son in Lower California, and a daughter, Mrs. Henry Shore, and a son, Louis Aguilar, who live in this city.

    Submitted by: Karla Everett

  • AGUILAR, Don Jesus

  • Los Angeles Times, Dec 1, 1934


    SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Nov. 30. - Don Jesus Aguilar, faithful bell toller and one of the two chanters at the San Juan Capistrano Mission since the late '60s, died this morning in the home of his birth, the Hacienda Aguilar, the oldest adobe house in the Mission City.

    He was 81 years of age and was one of the oldest residents of the countryside.  His father, Don Blas Aguilar, served as alcalde of San Juan Capistrano in 1847 and his grandfather, Don Rosario Aguilar, an early settler, was the alcalde in 1843.

    After a "velorio" at the Hacienda Aguilar tonight, requiem mass will be conducted at 9 a.m. tomorrow by Father Arthur J. Hutchinson, padre of the mission, in Father Junipero Serra's church, of which he was an early member.  Friends of Don Jesus Aguilar will carry the casket up the long hill to the old mission cemetery, where the body will be laid to rest.

    He leaves his widow, Dona Balbineda Ruiz de Aguilar, who was born in the barracks of the mission in 1854.  His sister, Dora Lorenza Manriguez, also born in the Hacienda Aguilar, is the oldest living resident in the vicinity.  There are five children living here.  They are Don Jua. . Aguilar, guide at the mission, who retains a private museum of heirlooms and antiques at the old home; Don Francisco and Don Blas Aguilar and Mrs. Florencia Ruiz and Mrs. Francisca Sepulveda.

    Submitted by: Karla Everett

  • AGUILAR, Rosa

  • Los Angeles Times, Mar 5, 1882


    AGUILAR - In this city, March 4, 1882, at 1 P.M., Rosa Aguiler (sic), aged 18 years.

    The funeral will take place from the Catholic church to-day at 4 o'clock P.M.  Friends are invited to attend.

    Submitted by: Karla Everett

  • AMADOR, Dona Maria Ignacia

  • Daily Alta California, San Francisco, 25 Sep 1851, page 2

    In Los Angeles, on the 2d inst., Dona MARIA IGNACIA AMADOR, aged 91 years.

    Submitted by: Ron Filion

  • ARGUELLO, Ignacius

  • Los Angeles Times, May 24, 1883


    ARGUELLO, In San Diego, May 15th, Ignacius Arguello, a native of California.

    Submitted by: Karla Everett

  • AVILA, Anastacio A.

  • Los Angeles Times, 18 September 1933


    Funeral services for Anastacio A. Avila of the old Los Angeles Avila family and San Quentin Prison guard since 1900, who died Thursday, will be conducted today at 8:15 a.m. at the Cunningham and O'Connor mortuary, 1031 South Grand avenue.  Requiem mass will be said at 9 a.m. at Our Lady of the Angels (the old Plaza) Church and burial will follow in Calvary Cemetery.

    Avila, 72 years of age, was born in Los Angeles in 1861.  He leaves his widow, Mrs. Mabel Avila; a daughter, Miss Francesca Avila; three sisters, Mrs. Joseph A. Fraters, Mrs. Felipe Lugo, Jr., and Miss Carrie Avila, and two brothers, Alberto and Tomas Avila.

    Submitted by: Karla Everett


  • Los Angeles Times, Sep 9, 1895


    - A Statement Made by One of the Claimants. -

    - Says the Property Went to the First Six Children of Ascension Avila's Daughter, Her Two Daughters by Pio Pico Being Ignored.

    The matter of the claims to be prosecuted by the Avila Estate Company, mention of which was made in the dispatches a few days ago, has given rise to come conflicting reports as to the facts of the case.

    In order to put the question before the public in a right light as to the facts stated, James Moreno, one of the parties interested in the company, made some explanations in reference to it to a Times reporter yesterday.

    "Don Antonio Ynacio Avila," Mrs. Moreno said, "was born in Los Angeles in 1765, as has been related in the dispatches. He died in this city about fifty-four years ago. He was married to Dona Ros Ruis and by her had ten children, one of whom was named Ascension. After the death of Don Avila, his estate, which was a large one, consisting mostly of lands granted directly to him from the Mexican government before California was ceded to the United States, was divided among the children, Ascencion receiving a share.

    "Previous to the death of Don Avila, Ascencion married Thomas Sanchez, and by him had six children, one of whom was Thomas Sanchez, Jr. After the death of her husband, Ascencion lived with Don Pio Pico, who was the last Governor of California under the Mexican dominion. In those days the laws in reference to marriage were not as strict as they are now, and, as a matter of fact, public opinion in the matter of marriage formalities did not compel or press particular requirements as it does now. County clerks' offices were few and far between, and such a thing as a marriage license was unheard of. I have been told on what I believe to be good authority that Don Pio Pico intended to go through the formality of a marriage ceremony with Ascencion. Just as he was about to do that, however, he was called away on business as Governor, which took him to a remote part of the State. In those days traveling was slow at best, so that considerable time elapsed before he returned. When he did reach home again, it was only to find that Ascencion was dead.

    "Be that as it may, Ascencion had two daughters by Pio Pico, Griselda and Joaquina. The former has never married. Joaquina, who is my mother, married Jose Moreno, and my aunt Griselda lives with us at No. 136 West Fifteenth street. Besides myself there are six brothers and sisters.

    "The eldest of these is Delfina, who is the wife of Vicente Sanchez, a son of Thomas Sanchez, Jr., and lives at No. 529 Alpine street. The next oldest is Porfirio Moreno, who is one of the directors of the Avila Estate Company, and lives with us on Fifteenth street. Next in order is Alejandro Moreno, who is unmarried and is the electrician in the Supreme Court building at San Francisco. Then comes Joseph, who lives in San Francisco. I am the next in age and after me is my sister Leonias and my brother Manuel, he being 13 years of age; both of whom live with us.

    "After the death of Ascencion, Thomas Sanchez, Jr., who was a son of hers by Thomas Sanchez, was the Sheriff. He administered upon her estate and divided it among her children by his father. No part of the estate was given to the two children by Pio Pico, and they at the time made no contest.

    "The Avila Estate Company has been formed for the purpose of securing for the heirs thus ignored their portion of the estate of Ascencion. Pio Pico, who died a year ago, stated to a number of persons besides myself that Griselda and Joaquina were his daughters by Ascencion. Only a few days before his death he proposed to go with me to a notary public and make affidavit to this fact. I arranged to go with him for this purpose a day or two later, but at the appointed time he was ill, and the matter was delayed. His condition became worse and he died a few days later.

    "The estate of Ascencion which was divided among her children by Sanchez, but to which claim is laid through her children by Pio Pico, consists of a number of pieces of land. One of these pieces is a part of Redondo Beach, including the Centinela ranch. Just how much area this piece includes is in doubt and will probably remain so until the abstract can be prepared. Another of the pieces of land lies between First and Fourth streets in this city and extends from Alameda street westerly to Vine street and perhaps further. The third tract of land to which the company is to lay claim includes the Guaspita, Salina, Laguna Seco, Coroas and Piletas ranches, comprising the neighborhood known as Sonoratown. The boundaries of this tract it will require an abstract to determine. The value of these lands is estimated to be $3,000,000.

    "Abstracts of the lands in question are being prepared and a prominent attorney is expected to come from Washington, D.C., to assist in prosecuting the claim"

    Submitted by: Karla Everett

  • AVILA, Felipe E.

  • Los Angeles Times, Oct 26, 1902

    Former Constable Run Down on North Main Street and Received Injuries Which Resulted in Death.

    While crossing North Main street near Arcadia street yesterday morning, Felipe E. Avila, formerly a Deputy Constable, and a well-known character about town, was struck by an electric car of the Alhambra line.  He was knocked a considerable distance and when assistance reached him was unconscious and bleeding from a wound on the back of the head.  It is said that he had been drinking and paid no attention to the warning of the gong on the car.  He was taken to the Receiving Hospital, where it was found that his injuries were very serious, and he was then removed to the County Hospital.  He lingered there until 9 o'clock last night, when he died without having recovered consciousness.  He was about forty years of age.  He was married and had one child, but, had not been living with his wife for a long time.

    Submitted by: Karla Everett