San Francisco History

Child-Saving Charities

by James Flamant
28 May 1893

Ladies Protection and Relief Society Infant Homes The Children's Hospital
South San Francisco Orphan Asylum The Girls Directory Youthful Malefactors
San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum The Eugenia Home School Youth's Directory
Pacific Hebrew Orphan Asylum St. Vincent's Asylum Our Societies’ Aids
The Armitage Orphanage The Florence Crittenton Home San Francisco List

In summing up the work accomplished by the child-saving charities of San Francisco, dating back from the days of California's infancy, one sees nothing but the truest spirit of benevolence and Christian desire to lift a burden from the unfortunates.

The orphaned, abandoned, delinquent, abused, incorrigible, feeble-minded and depraved come under this head, each requiring separate quarters and modes of treatment. Then in many cases it is desirable to separate the boys from the girls, and the various denominational and sects desire to educate and care for their own. For those reasons the necessity of separate institutions is imperative as well as beneficial.

California possesses thirty-four such institutions and asylums, thirteen of which are located in this city, providing for no less than 2000 inmates. With a view of acquainting the public with the objects and accomplishments of the principal ones a short history has been secured, showing the grand results and successful accomplishments of forty-two years’ charity work in San Francisco.

Ladies Protection and Relief Society.

Ladies Protection and Relief Society, 1893.Among California's early charities the Ladies’ Protection and Relief Society figures prominently. Orphan asylums, as heretofore noted, cared for the parentless youth in a philanthropic manner, but, strictly speaking, had nothing to do with the dependent women and children who through unfortunate circumstances desired assistance and protection. This matter came to the knowledge of a number of charitably inclined ladies who at once set to work to provide a suitable shelter for this class, and were very successful in their labor, having secured a sufficient sum through soliciting to purchase a building on Franklin street which was dedicated to the society on August 4, 1853, and in the same month, one year later, incorporated under the laws of the State.

Children taken under their care are kept, as a general rule, until suitable Christian homes are provided for them. The frequent changes in the ranks and the class from which most of their charges come make the work difficult, often discouraging, but ample compensation is the constant and growing satisfaction which the devoted matron and teachers feel in the commendation the children receive from those whose task it is to build upon the excellent foundation which has been laid.

There are four separate school rooms, besides a large kindergarten, conducted in the home, but on account of the increasing number of pupils and the insufficiency of accommodations for their training it has been found necessary to send a portion of the older inmates to public schools in the neighborhood. It was thought that this idea would be broadened by the children coming in contact with many well-trained minds, and that the enlargement of their acquaintances might be of benefit to them in after life. They were most hospitably received at the Denman and Clement schools, and since their entrance, two years ago the teachers have expressed the greatest satisfaction with them in every way, and, as a sequel, an improvement in address and manners is a notable result of their widening experience.

They go and come as children from their own homes, and the walk four times a day and home study required has proved a healthy stimulus to their active and restless moods.

In the winter of 1891, a severe plague invaded the institution with fearful results. Diphtheria—the scourge of palace and cottage alike—carried away five of the little tots. Soon after measles broke out and claimed another victim. Christmas was dropped out of the calendar, two of the little children passing away on that day. No one from the outside cared to risk the contagion lightly and the hearts and hands of all in the home were full of care for the sick and dying children. But this state of affairs speedily terminated.

There are over 200 inmates in the home at the present, all appearing to be happy and as well cared for as the limited means of the society will allow. The good work undertaken by the management is ably compensated by the many successful results of its graduates, many of whom have become self-supporting, respected and successful men and women.

South San Francisco Orphan Asylum.

The history of this institution is one of the somewhat romantic character, it having experienced from the very beginning drawbacks and difficulties of various natures, which, however, were overlooked by the good Samaritans whom only thought was to care for unfortunates.

In the fall of 1851 seven Sisters of Charity left the famous Emmetsburg Orphanage, in Maryland, to come to California with the purpose of forming such an institution here.  On their arrival at Panama they were stricken with cholera, from which two died. Among other of the passengers who were carried away with the fatal malady was a soldier and his wife. Both died, leaving one child, a girl of 2 years, whom the sisters took charge of and brought to San Francisco, making her the first of their wards here.

The five surviving Good Shepherdesses worked diligently for months in scouring funds with which to start a home. They finally succeeded, and on August 18, 1852, the Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum was founded on the north side of Telegraph Hill.

In 1854 a brick building was erected on the site of the present Palace Hotel to supply the increasing number of inmates with ample accommodations. The work was very successfully carried on until 1861, when the old lot was sold and a new one purchased. The site selected was on Silver terrace, South San Francisco, where in connection with the orphanage, an infant shelter was founded, both occupying the same quarters.

In 1873 another large and commodious building was erected on Mount St. Joseph, a few hundred yards from the old location, and the orphan children were removed to this one, the other being only for the shelter of infants.

In view of teaching the older male inmates some profession by which they would be benefited in after life, it was proposed to organize a technical school. Some difficulty was found in establishing this department, but after several months of delay in securing plans a site was purchased on the corner of Gough and Geary streets, and in April, 1886, the carpenter shop and other mechanical departments were started in earnest. This branch proved very beneficial, and has fitted many dependent children to fill positions whereby they have become self-supporting, industrious citizens.

The following is a resume of the number of children cared for in the different homes under the direction of the Roman Catholic Orphanage since its organization:

South San Francisco Asylum — 4,950
Mount St. Joseph Infant Shelter — 6,270
San Francisco Technical School — 120
Grand Total — 11,340
Number of inmates in homes at present — 830

San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum.

In the early settlement of the Pacific Coast, when the few venturesome spirits who came here were strangers to each other, ties were formed that became in many instances, stronger than those of kindred, and the early Argonauts stood shoulder to shoulder in every effort for the justice and purity of the laws and in their zeal to help the suffering and afflicted. It was in those days that the San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum was founded, and all the residents knew of it and aided its growth. The ladies who were instrumental in organizing the shelter have with but three exceptions passed to their reward, leaving behind them a monument which stands to show the free-will offspring of their best energies and Christian philanthropy. Thus, in 1851, the first orphanage was organized in this city.

The accommodations were at that time very poor, consisting of a small rookery in the locality now known as as Hayes Valley. After many years of struggle and hardships on the part of the managers, a block was purchased on Haight street, between Buchanan and Laguna, where a commissioned building was erected. Numerous additions have since been made to the main structure, increasing the comfort of the various departments. Elegant gardens, replete with rare flowers and shrubbery, are enclosed within the heavy stone fence surrounding the premises, making the whole a homelike abiding place for the unfortunate inmates.

There are at present over 200 children in the household, under the supervision of Mrs. C.A. NcNeal, for whom the trustees have only the warmest words of praise for the motherly care she has given to her many charges, besides the efficient manner in which she conducts the affairs of her home.

Pacific Hebrew Orphan Asylum.

The Pacific Hebrew Orphan Asylum has been in existence since 1871, when it was founded on a small scale in this city for the purpose of relieving destitute and friendless Hebrew children from want and suffering. Its history, from a romantic point of view, is very even, not to say tame, as success has attended its every movement in the direction of progress and prosperity.

The society has acted as a tender mother to its dependent charges, not only during the years of childhood, but has assisted them after they have reached the age of maturity by finding positions for them in the different vocations of life to which they were adapted. By conscientious attention many of the former inmates have mastered various callings and are now in business for themselves.

The asylum is located on the corner of Devisadero and Hayes streets. It is four stories in height, with all the furniture and appliances necessary in conducting a homelike institution. It is surrounded by a fine garden and playground. In the rear a large gymnasium has recently been built and fitted up with all the modern apparatus. Classes in physical development are being conducted by the superintendent and prove to be of the most beneficial character to the children.

The home is under the management of Henry Mauser, ably assisted by his wife, who serves in the capacity of matron. The trustees speak in the highest terms of both Mr. and Mrs. Mauser for the efficient manner in which they have conducted the affairs of the asylum, and they have surely won a warm place in the hearts of their many charges, for whom they have the greatest consideration.

The general health of the wards has been excellent, not one case of a serious nature having been reported during the past year. This speaks well for the sanitary and hygienic condition of the house, as well as for the care the inmates have received. The older children attend a public school near by, and give satisfaction as regards deportment and lessons.

The kindergarten which is carried on at the home has proved to be a great success, besides being a source of enjoyment to the little ones. The housework is almost entirely done by the inmates under the direction of the matron. They make the beds, assist in the kitchen, sweep, clean and dust the various dormitories, schoolrooms, toilet-rooms and lavatories, and thus receive practical lessons in all branches of housework.

A recent addition to the institution is a brass band, under the leadership of Louis Van der Mehden, assisted by Mr. Mauser, who is himself a proficient musician. The instruments were kindly donated by a member of the board of trustees. This has served as a most pleasant as well as instructive measure of occupying the leisure moments of the musically inclined wards, besides being a source of amusement cherished in the hearts of all.

The discordant strains of the eighteen aspirants have gradually become harmonized by constant practice, and they now render comparatively difficult selections in a very acceptable manner. Mr. Mauser has reason to be proud of his youthful Arions.

The Armitage Orphanage.

On the foothills a few miles east of San Mateo, surrounded on all sides by green pastures and shaded by high poplars, a number of children can be seen daily romping about in their innocent play, while near them is their “home,” a large four-story building, resembling more a private dwelling than an institution. This is the Bishop Armitage Church Orphanage, and the children seen playing about were the once unfortunate, destitute and abandoned waifs who are being cared for by the good Samaritans.

The society was founded in 1886, when a small building in San Mateo was provided for the care of its charges. A few years later the present home was secured and has been successfully carried on ever since. Mrs. Frances C. Brewer, president of the board of trustees, has been the guiding star which has led the good work on to prosperity. From the beginning her sacrifices for the welfare and happiness of the little ones have been unlimited.

In a financial way the society is as yet lacking, but with the occasional donations of charitably inclined persons it manages to keep afloat. Major improvements are yet to be made at the home in order to further the educational needs, but until sufficient funds shall be secured the plans will have to be set aside.

The object in placing the institution in the country is for the purpose of teaching its inmates the art of agriculture.

The twenty-eight acres of land belonging to the orphanage are entirely cultivated by the boys, and last year produced thirty-five tons of hay. A vegetable garden of three acres has been laid out which supplies the institution with all the vegetables used. The poultry yard is well filled, and the milk and butter are all furnished from their own cows. A piggery is a recent addition to the “ranch,” and its well-stocked with fat porkers. Four horses are kept and the stable-work in every detail is carefully attended to.

The children are as enthusiastic at their work as in their play, and at the same time the most perfect discipline reigns. They are obedient and courteous at all times. In school they are taught the regular courses of mental training and learn with rapidity. A monthly newspaper is now published at the home, entirely managed by the children, which will add much to their intellectual and industrial development.

The success of the society is largely due to Mr. and Mrs. R. F. Le Warne, who have had control of the affairs at San Mateo for nearly three years. Their attitude for this special work is to be seen best by the grand accomplishments  they have made for the sake of such a good charity.

Infant Homes.

An important feature of charity work in San Francisco, and one which has proved to be an unbounded success, is the home where mothers can leave their young children to be cared for during the hours they are at work. The movement was started in 1874, when the “Little Sister's” infant shelter, 512 Minna street, was founded, and has since been enlarged and carried on to a success. All the accommodations for the temporary care of the young ones are provided, besides an exclusive kindergarten. During the last year the home cared for 6000 infants.

Later on the sisters of the Roman Catholic church organized a day home on Hayes street, between Polk and Van Ness avenue, and more recently another such shelter on Powell street. Both are doing very well indeed, and serve as a great relief for self-supporting, honest women in their attempt to keep the wolf from the door.

The Girls Directory.

Five years ago last Christmas the Girls’ Directory first opened its doors to the poor abandoned children of this city. At that time it had small quarters at 218 Grove street, where it remained for six months. From there it removed into a larger house at 301 Franklin street; but, on account of the increasing number of inmates and lack of accommodations, another removal seemed imperative, and it sought more ample quarters at its present location on Park road, near Lott street.

In the five years of its work the directory has rescued hundreds of children from surroundings that would have led them to lives of shame and dishonor. The society is under the direction of the Sisters of Saint Francis, and to their efforts its success largely due.

The main support of the work has come from the working classes, the larger part of the contributions being the two-bit and four-bit donations of working women and mechanics. A struggling charity it has been from the start, the most careful expenditure of its limited income and the practice of the most rigid economy being necessary to keep it in a solvent condition. Yet the labor has prospered and the harvest has been rich indeed on the side of morality and humanity. Over 100 girls are at the home at present, being cared for with all the consideration possible by the good sisters.

The Eugenia Home School.

Mrs. J. A. Campbell is the found and present guardian of the Eugenia Home School, a very deserving charity, which is located in the lady's residence, on Ashbury avenue, Berkeley. Mrs. Campbell is a firm believer in the doctrine that prevention is better than cure, and in her earnest endeavor to help the homeless girls she has been very successful.

The influence of her home life and useful recreation, of good country air and healthy surroundings are the means employed. Classes for instruction in ways useful to enable them to earn a livelihood are held throughout the week. The inmates are under the charge of an experienced matron and also of the personal oversight of their mother-like benefactor.

At the request of the founder there has been constituted to assist her in the work an advisory board, who assistance has proved very beneficial in securing funds for the maintenance of the good work.

During the past year 194 girls were placed in the home and 164 were assisted to and furnished with good situations and probably saved from ruin.

St. Vincent's Asylum.

St. Vincent's Asylum, 1893The institution, commonly called the San Rafael Orphan Asylum, is situated in Marin County, near the town of San Rafael. It is partly supported by the State, and at present gives food, shelter and instructions to 500 orphan boys. The management consists of a president and vice-president, ably assisted by an active corps of teachers and prefects. Rev. D. O. Crowley, who has been for some years past actively identified with the charities of this city, is president, having recently succeeded the Rev. Father McKinnon. Father Crowley is at the same time president of the Youths’ Directory of this city, which is conducted in connection with the orphanage.

When the children at the asylum reach the age of fourteen, they are transferred to the directory, and then sent out to learn trades, or to secure employment.

The asylum is made up of a number of frame buildings capable of accommodating more than six hundred children. The storerooms, pantries, dining-rooms, kitchens and dormitories are kept in perfect order by the boys, and it is evident that the managers have a good system of control.

For more than thirty years this institution has been in existence, and during that long period it has accomplished a great deal of good for the general community, and to the cause of charity.

The Florence Crittenton Home.

The Florence Crittenton Home was formerly known as the Pacific Rescue House, and is under the management of J. W. Ellsworth. Its main object is to provide shelter and friends in time of need for young girls who have made their first mission, and in this way save them from ruin; also, to have them return to their parents or friends, or to provide a house in Christian families who, fully understanding what their cast has been, are willing to aid the girls to better lives. The work has proved to be a great benefaction in its line, having saved many wayward girls from disgrace and ruin.

The Children's Hospital.

Surely it is noble to relieve human suffering among the poor and helpless of a large city! Such is the mission of that grand charity, the Children's Hospital, whose arms are ever open to receive and care for afflicted little ones. The building is an elegant structure, built especially for medical purposes, and affords all the accommodation that can be desired in furthering the purposes. It is situated on California street, on the line of the park route.

Before the organization of the society, physically affected children, whose affliction was beyond home treatment, were often taken to the City and County Hospital, to mingle with all sorts of persons with all sorts of diseases. The kind donations of property and finances received from San Francisco's open-hearted, philanthropic workers soon remedied this evil, and this monument of their energies stands as a testimony to the good will of man.

A training school for nurses is a valuable addition to the hospital, whereby young women can secure a full education as trained nurses, their services in this manner being secured at a nominal salary until they have completed the course and received a diploma.

A long list of benevolent physicians offer their services in caring for the unfortunate inmates, each having a certain department or special disease to look after, and they all take great interest in the deserving work. There has been plenty of work and hard work for them all and they have not shirked it. Last year there were severe cases of scarlet fever, diphtheria and other contagious diseases, all of which were promptly removed to the Isolation Cottage and strictly quarantined. The good care given the patients brought them about again entirely cured.

The Maternity College, adjoining the main building, was opened in May, 1892, and several patients have availed themselves of its privileges. It is open to any physician of good standing desirous of placing a patient therein.

There are at present over 200 patients in the hospital, divided into numerous wards, presided over by efficient nurses, who care for the tots as though they were their own. A pitiful sight it is to visit these poor sick and diseased children, the ten beds in the incurable ward being occupied by little sufferers who can only be released from their afflictions by death! Broken arms and legs are numerous in their departments.

One of the most pleasant spots on the premises to visit is the kindergarten. Here the lively little ones who are able to be about are taught many things to their advantage besides being a great source of enjoyment.

The Pacific Dispensary, owned by the Hospital Society and located at 1016 Mission street, has been in active operation for nearly eighteen years, and fills and undoubted need in the community. The work is limited to women and children. A small charge of 25 cents is made for medicines or treatment where patients are able to pay for them, but many are too poor to even pay that small fee, and, therefore, receive their medicine and treatment without charge. General diseases are treated daily (except Sundays) from 9 to 11 A.M. and from 3 to 4 P.M., excepting Tuesday and Fridays. Diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat are treated on Tuesdays and Fridays from 3 to 4 P.M.

Youthful Malefactors.

Those interested in the praiseworthy effort of preventing crime among the juvenile element of this State will regretfully acknowledge that a fearful state of demoralization exists among the lower classes, where examples of depravity, degradation and excessive intemperance are held above the impressionable youth until their stings have penetrated his weakened mind, and poisoned a life which might otherwise have been faultless. Again we have the evil evidence of cheap literature and lewd performances such as are open to aspirants on all sides, and with the aid of drugged cigarettes to prevent physical development and cause nervous prostration and ruined constitution and depraved mind are again manifested. This disease often reaches into the higher ranks of society, dragging down with its deathlike grip a lad who may have been otherwise influenced by good home examples.

San Francisco may not be quoted as the sole possessor of such “Street Arabs,” or examples of wasted childhood, as can be seen by a census bulletin furnishing information to that respect taken in the year 1891, when the only juvenile penal institution conducted by the State—the old Industrial School—contained no less than 200 inmates, while the number confined in reformatories throughout the United States at that time was 14,846, of which one-quarter were girls, their principal offense being delinquency; about one-half the males having been committed for offenses against public policy, and the other half for vagrancy.

We have at present a reform school at Whittier, Los Angeles County, and the Preston School of Industry at Ione, Amador County, will probably be completed before the close of this year. But both of these are intended for the reformation of very bad boys, many of whom are criminals, and having nothing to do with the immense aggregate of comparatively vicious and friendless children that are to be found in greater or less numbers in every county, city and town of this State. Some are either orphans or half orphans, others the children of respectable parents, while very many have unfortunately a drunken father, mother, or perhaps both. Then again, a child may have a stepfather who refuses to support him, or perchance a stepmother who cannot endure its presence. Consequently the waif is driven out to fight the battle of life as best he can. This element will soon have reached maturity, and the important question arises, How shall they be saved and made good members of society, instead of growing up to become thieves, tramps, inmates of prison, murderers and a curse to all mankind?

Thus we have two distinct classes of youthful dependents upon charity and State: the friendless and abandoned, which in most cases are ineligible to orphan asylums, and the merely “bad” boy to whom a commitment to prison or even reformatory, would work manifest injury. To meet this midway or mixed class of otherwise innocent transgressors and castaways, we can proudly boast of possessing, free from the State, two institutions meeting all the requirements necessary on saving and caring for such cases—the Boys’ and Girls’ Aid Society of California and the Youths’ Directory, the former being nonsectarian and the latter under Catholic control, although, in many cases, caring for Protestant children.

Let us take each of these public benefactories, and view the methods pursued and results obtained by the practical benevolence of each.

The Boys’ and Girls’ Aid Society was founded in the year 1874, when the necessity for such an institution was demonstrated by the increasing immigration to this coast and the consequent large number of children, who often yielded to the many temptations afforded them in those days. With an object of checking this growing evil, a number of charitably inclined gentleman were called together for the purpose of establishing a home for the maintenance of such cases, with the motto which has ever since been the byword of the society, “It is wiser and less expensive to save children than to punish criminals.”

Alvinza Hayward, who evidently seemed impressed with the idea, at once donated the sum of $5000, and through his and William Meserve’s exertions the society was presented with a building located on Minna street. A branch was soon after conducted on Jackson street, and a savings bank, sewing school and temperance society established. The finances were rapidly decreasing, so in order to keep up the good work it was found necessary to sell both buildings and purchase one in a more suburban locality. This was done and a suitable house erected on Clementina street, near Second, at a cost of $6000, with a debt of $1350 remaining. On this coming to the knowledge of the late Mrs. Charles Crocker, that lady at once liquidated the debt by drawing her check for the full amount.

The purposes of the aid society proved to be of the most noble character, still, practically speaking, the work was not a financial success. In 1881 a total collapse appeared imminent, but with the united action of a few especially interested in the movement a meeting was called and a new board of trustees chosen, with ex-Governor George C. Perkins as president. Charles A. Murdock, a member of the board, was at that time in the Legislature, and with his ever-helping hand to the good cause of charity introduced a bill, which was successfully passed and known as section 1388, which gave a new life to the society and started it on its way to success. The act in question provides that a minor who, through unfortunate circumstances, has fallen into the hands of the law may be committed to any non-sectarian institution when there is reasonable ground to believe that the said minor may be reformed.

Upon the advent of the new management, the whole method of the work was changed, the grand purpose being to send the homeless, abused and unfortunate children who came under their care to the best family home that can be secured for them. This has been carried on to a successful issue ever since, over 2000 waifs having thus been disposed of, nearly every case being a success.

In 1885 Senator James G. Fair visited the home, and on learning of the successful accomplishments of the society, considered that a more expansive area was necessary to accommodate the increasing number of inmates, which then consisted of 80.

He soon afterward presented the society with a double fifty-vara lot on the corner of Grove and Baker streets, at a cost of $12,500. On hearing of the donation of the lot the late Charles Crocker, who had a heartfelt desire to assist the noble work which was being carried on, gave his check for $31,500 for the erection of a suitable building, which was soon put up and has to this date served as a shelter for the many thousand charges who entered its ever open doors.

With these two handsome gifts the society was amply supplied with elegant and roomy accommodations, but a matter of greater importance again sprang up, namely the finances with which to conduct and maintain the institution. This, however, was partly secured by small voluntary contributions, although not sufficient to place the society on a self-supporting basis.

In 1888 David Heap was appointed superintendent, and those who know the affairs of the society must acknowledge that its work has never been more thoroughly and satisfactorily done. That he has made mistakes is altogether probable. That he has satisfied himself is quite improbable, but he has striven earnestly and honestly to fill a very difficult position, meeting with a degree of success that is gratifying to the trustees, not only in his good influence and unexcelled management of the society's charges, but in the general management of the home, having conducted it to a self-supporting basis, laying aside each month a surplus which, from the report printed in May, 1892, amounts altogether to $17,005.51.

The good work is to this day going on successfully, having now, in addition to the routine business, a free employment bureau for boys and girls, a day and evening school, classes in singing, reading-rooms and library. Lodgings and board at a nominal charge are furnished to working children without suitable homes or care in the city.

Youths’ Directory.

The Youths’ Directory is a temporary home for friendless and abused boys between the ages of 7 and 14 years. It was founded on Howard street, near Third, in 1886. One year later Rev. D.C. Crowley took charge and soon secured the necessary funds with which to erect a four-story building on a lot situated between Seventeenth and Eighteenth streets on Howard.

Many merchants and professional men will attest as to the character of the boys they are fortunate enough in securing from the directory. The fact that they are not permitted to go out at night makes them in great demand. This applies to the free employment bureau connected with the institution, through which many boys up to 16 years of age secure positions during the year.

The object of the directory, or at least of its officers, is to establish an industrial department in connection with the home, but until some charitably disposed person or persons help them in that direction it will perhaps be a long time before they consummate anything of the kind.

The institution does not receive any aid from State or city. Its revenue comes from “St. Joseph's Union,” published quarterly, the subscription of which is $1 per year. Many ladies and gentlemen throughout the city and country act as solicitors for the paper. The boys to the number of seventy-five attend the Mission Primary School, only one block distant. The advanced ones attend St. Ignatius College. The work of the house is chiefly performed by the boys, each one being assigned certain duties, which he performs before preparation for school. The discipline is enforced with firmness and kindness. The teachers at the school which they attend speak well of their conduct and progress.

It is also their intention to secure a tract of land near the city for the purpose of teaching the children all branches of horticulture, and there is no doubt but that the results would be beneficial as well as profitable. The managers are working hard in securing funds with which to carry out their pet project, and the chances are that their hopes will soon be realized.

Our Societies’ Aid.

A certain recognition is due the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children and the Associated Charities for the successful work they have accomplished during many years of service, the former for the crime and wrongs it has prevented among the young, the souls it has saved from fates far worse than death, and in rescuing the thoughtless youth from physical and moral destruction.

The latter has ever received the poor and helpless with open arms, and, with the co-operation of our many benevolent societies and institutions, the bleeding hearts of suffering humanity have been relieved of their burdens and sheltered from the pangs of misery. Words can hardly express the accomplishments of these public aids in their different callings, as it is only felt in the hearts of those who have south assistance through hunger, want or misery.

Such as been the history of San Francisco's most deserving philanthropic work, and as we look into the sweetest memory of the past and see what has been done, may we only hope that the future may be crowned with the wreath of prosperity which such truly Christian endeavors deserve.


Bishop Armitage Church Orphanage of California. Established in 1886 for the care and training of orphan, half orphan, destitute and abandoned boys. Location of the orphanage, San Mateo. Office of the society, 504 Kearny street, San Francisco. Officers: Mrs. A.L. Brewer, San Mateo, President; L. Wadham, 504 Kearny street, San Francisco, Secretary and Treasurer; B.F. Le Warne, San Mateo, Superintendent.

Boys and Girls Aid Society. Incorporated September 15, 1874. Rescues homeless, neglected or abused children of California and receives juvenile offenders who (by legal commitment or otherwise) are in danger of being sent to prison; provides for such until suitable homes or employment are found for them, and continues to look after their condition and treatment; maintains reading rooms, libraries, baths, sewing school and class in music. Lodgings and board are furnished at a nominal cost to working boys and girls who have neither homes nor suitable guardianship in the city. The work is free from sectarianism and depends upon voluntary contributions for its support. Office and "Home," corner Grove and Baker streets, San Francisco. Children are also received from parents and others for discipline, so called, to check their gravitation into crime; others for temporary care while parents are ill or pending legal proceedings.

California Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. Incorporated September 2, 1876. Number of members, two hundred and ninety-five. Objects: To provide ways and means to secure the enforcement of an Act for the prevention of cruelty to children, and to labor in the education of a public sentiment of humanity and gentleness toward children. Office, NE cor Market and Taylor streets, room 95. Officers: Charles Sonntag, President; C.B. Holbrook, Secretary. Telephone, 3357.

Eureka Benevolent Society. Organized October, 1850, to assist poor and needy Hebrews in want or sickness. Number of members, seven hundred and forty-six, who pay one dollar each per month, besides an additional sum of twenty-five cents, for the support of widows and orphans. The society has a fund on interest. Office, 105 Stockton street. Officers: A.E. Hecht, President; Leo Eloesser, Secretary; Albert Meyer, Treasurer.

Florence Crittenton Home Association for Erring Women. Charles N. Crittenton, President; Mrs. S.C. Russell, Matron; Joseph Moscrop, Secretary; N.R. Strong, Treasurer and J.W. Ellsworth, Manager, 520 Kearny street.

Girls' Directory. Established in San Francisco, December 25, 1887. Objects: This Home is a charitable institution where poor girls of all denominations can find shelter until work can be obtained, and also for poor abandoned children. Park Road and Lott street.

Ladies' Protection and Relief Society. Established August 4, 1853. Incorporated August 9, 1854. This society had under its supervision a Home where friendless or destitute girls under the age of fourteen and over three years, and boys under ten and over three years, may be received and provided for until permanent homes in Christian families can be secured for them.

The building of this institution is located on Franklin street, between Post and Geary, and is a fine and commodious structure. Applications for admission should be made to Mrs. Wakelee, at the Home, between the hours of one and three o'clock P.M., on Mondays and Fridays of each week. Donations of money, etc., may be sent to Miss Kate Hutchinson, southwest corner of Howard and Fifteenth streets. Letters and communications should be addressed to Mrs. Geo. Barstow at the Home on Franklin street, or Miss A.W. Beaver, Corresponding Secretary; Miss Kate Hutchinson, Treasurer; Miss Mary McGladery, Matron.

Magdalen Asylum. Under the charge of the Sisters of Mercy. Location, Potrero avenue, near Twenty-first street. A large and commodious building, three stories in height, had been erected for the accommodation of the inmates of the asylum. At the present time there are over one hundred penitents, attended by twenty Sisters of Mercy. Under an arrangement with the city this Asylum also takes charge of such refractory girls as are committed to its custody by order of its courts.

Mount St. Joseph's Infant Asylum for Boys and Girls. Organized March 10, 1863. Is pleasantly situated on Silver avenue, between Lahaina and Sumatra streets. It is a large wooden edifice, having all the modern improvements, and will accommodate about four hundred children. A Sister Superior in charge.

Orphan Asylum (Roman Catholic). Organized March 23, 1851. For a number of years the asylum was maintained in the lower part of the city, until the growth of the city's business enforced a removal. In 1862 a farm of fifty-three acres, near Bay View, South San Francisco, was purchased, upon which a tract of land a large and commodious wooden edifice, with all the modern conveniences, was erected in 1872. The building is beautifully located on a hill, commanding an extensive view of the surrounding country. It covers an area of two hundred and four by two hundred and eighty-two feet, including an open centre court, measuring eighty by one hundred and forty-four feet. It will accommodate about eight hundred children. The institution is under the charge of the Sisters of Charity.

Pacific Hebrew Orphan Asylum and Home Society. Organized July 26, 1871. Location, east side of Devisadero street, between Hayes and Grove. Formed for the care, relief, protection, and improvement of orphan children, and for the care of aged Israelites who are without adequate means of support. Officers: S.W. Levy, President; Issac Wormser, Vice-President; Lewis Gerstle, Treasurer; Henry Mauser, Superintendent; Leo Eloesser, Secretary; David Michael, Collector.

San Francisco Girls' Union. Incorporated June 6, 1884. Location, 909 Taylor street. This society so formed in the interest of self-reliant, self-respecting girls of San Francisco and unprotected strangers. Object, to provide a home at moderate cost. Officers: Dr. Mrs. Ballard; Mrs. W.J. Sweasey, First Vice-President; Madam E. Tojetti, Secretary; Mrs. M.S. Haskell, Treasurer; Mrs. L.E. McDowell, Superintendent. Office hours, from 10 A.M. to 3 P.M.

San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum. Organized January 31, 1851, and incorporated February 10, 1851. It originally occupied the building on the corner of Second and Folsom streets, owned by Gen. H.W. Halleck, whence they removed the children in March, 1854, to the present building, south side of Haight street, between Laguna and Buchanan streets. This house, built of stone and brick, expressly for the purpose, is highly creditable to the institution, as one of the noblest monuments of San Francisco benevolence. The present number of children in the asylum is two hundred and twenty. Officers: Mrs. William Alvord, President; Mrs. C.V. Gillespie, Vice-President; Mrs. C.O. Gerberding, Second Vice-President; Mrs. Henry Haight, Treasurer; Mrs. Frederick MacCrelliah, Secretary; Miss Ella L. Adams, Assistant Secretary; John Nightingale, Physician.

Widows' and Orphans' Aid Association of the Police Department of San Francisco. Organized January 13, 1878. The membership embraces the entire force. The object of this association is to render pecuniary aid to the widows and orphans or family to the extent of one thousand dollars. Officers: A.J. Houghtaling, President; Thomas W. Bethell, Vice-President; John B. Martin, Recording Secretary; John Duncan, Treasurer; J.T. Green, Financial Secretary.

Youths' Directory. Office 2030 Howard street. This institution, established November 1, 1874, under the patronage of Archbishop Alemany, comprises a Free Intelligence Bureau and a Temporary Home for friendless boys in search of employment. It is maintained by volunteer contributions from the public. Destitute lads, in quest of work, are admitted free to the benefits of its refectory, dormitory, lavatory, and reading-room, until places are procured for them in town or country, without charge to either employers or employees. No discrimination between applicants on account of religious belief. A very large number of boys obtain profitable occupation on farms, in factories, stores, and shops every year through this source. Office open every week day from nine o'clock to eleven o'clock A.M. and from two o'clock to five o'clock P.M. Officers: Rev. D.O. Crowley, President; Francis J. Kane, Secretary; Most Rev. P.W. Riordan, A.H. Loughborough, M.I. Sullivan, Joseph A. Donohoe, and Rev. D.O. Crowley, Directors.

San Francisco Directory. May 1893: Crocker and Langley, San Francisco. 78-87.
The San Francisco Morning Call. 28 May 1893. 18.

Return to San Francisco Genealogy
Public Commons License