[Marin County Obit Board]

Posted by Cathy Gowdy on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 07:54:38 :

Marin Journal
Thursday, 21 May 1914
Page 4

In Memoriam

Mrs. F. J. Fraser, who passed into rest at the home of her son-in-law and daughter, the Rev. and Mrs. Chas. C. Camplin last week, had lived a long and useful life.

She was born in Picton, Nova Scotia, in 1840.

She had three brothers, Alexander, Evan and Malcolm; and two sisters, Priscilla and Isabelle. Of these Priscilla alone survives. Evan was adopted in Scotland by their great uncle, Lord George Ross of Rosshire. Malcom came out to Virginia City in the early days and became interest(ed) in mining.

In her native village of Picton, Flora Jane Ross grew into womanhood, was graduated from the Picton Academy and was united in marriage with Duncan A. Fraser. The couple went to live in New Glasgow, where a daughter was born, who is now the wife of Clarence W. Peck, of the Fresno High School.

The discovery of gold in this state and the lure of adventure in a new world induced the young couple to bid good-bye to Nova Scotia, cross into the Republic, and westward to California. Mr. Fraser went into the mines in Nevada county and was for a number of years superintendent of a mine there.

The Frasers removed to Napa, where they established a home. While there another daughter was born, Maude Malcolm, now Mrs. Champlin. In a year or two they again moved to Alameda, where the Fraser family has for the most part resided ever since, and the father passing away and both daughters being married, at the Fraser residence on Santa Clara avenue and Willow street.

Mrs. Fraser has been an earnest Christian and a member of the Presbyterian church from early years. She was never one who believed that church membership meant only church attendance, but was always active in good works. She helped to start work for the Chinese in Alameda and was superintendent of the Chinese Mission for nearly twenty years. Surely with a home to attend to, and two growing daughters, she had an excuse for not doing outside work, but Mrs. Fraser felt that she owed a debt to her Heavenly Father, which she could never repay and so she gave six nights every week for eighteen years, teaching the Chinese the religion of our Lord Jesus Christ. Many Chinese were converted and are today active Christians. Some have returned to China and have been the means of turning whole villages to Christianity. “They that are wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament, and t hey that turn many to righteousness as the stars forever and ever.”

About eight months age Mrs. Fraser came to live in San Rafael and her presence was a benediction to the home to which she came. Never a more unselfish soul, never one more consecrated. For months she has felt that her journey was nearly ended, and the other world has seemed very near. She faced the Future with radiant hope and confidence. When the end came she breathed out her mortal life as peacefully as a sleeping child. Among her last words were: “I see the Son Jesus.”

As well in her death as in her life did she confess her Saviour.

In accordance with her native modesty of soul the funeral rites were private and plain. Her beloved pastor, the Rev. Frank Brush, D. D. of Alameda, made a touching eulogy. Her remains were laid to rest in Mountain View cemetery, Oakland. Six Chinese converts were the pall-bearers at the cemetery, and a Chinese prayer was offered.

Dr. Brush emphasized his dear friend’s unselfish consecration and dwelt upon her capabilities as a leader in Christian work and upon her accomplishments as an executive officer in the intricate affairs of a Mission, where good judgment, firmness and correct decisions are necessary.

She has gone to a well-earned reward and though the parting for us is hard, we would not have her back, for she is hearing a “Well done, good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of thy Lord.”

copyright © 1996-2011 SFgenealogy. All rights reserved.
powered by SpudBoard